Foodie Friday – Ambrosia
Ambrosia known as food of the Gods in Ancient Greece times, giving the Gods immortal life. Nowadays its also known as a plant that causes severe hayfever reactions or more importantly a fruit salad dish.
The Sims definition is closer to the Ancient Greece term, it extends your Sims' life by 1 day every time he or she eats it. In The Sims 3 it is probably the most difficult dish to make because of the ingredients. It needs a Life fruit AND a Death fish. Ironically, it is a very easy dish in real life!
We welcome your Ambrosia recipes and pictures you can email them to platinumsimmers[at]gmail.com.
Picture by Steve Depolo
In Game Recipe
Prep: 25min | Cook: 30 minutes
Skill level 10
Requires recipe books: Ambrosia
Ingredients: Death fish, Life fruit
Prep: 10min | Refigerate: 24 hours
- 10 ounces (283g) maraschino cherries, cut in quarters
- 12 ounces (340g) mandarin oranges (No. 2)
- 20 ounces (566g) pineapple chunks (No 2)
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 8 ounces (236ml) sour cream
- Drain fruit well.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Be sure fruit is well drained or Ambrosia will be mushy.
Ambrosia Fruit Salad
- 2 cans of pineapple chunks or tidbits
- 1 large jar or 2-3 cans of mandarin oranges
- 2-3 cups of seedless green grapes
- 1 pint of fresh strawberries, sliced and hulled
- 1 large jar of maraschino cherries
- 2 cups of mini marshmallows
- 4 oz (120ml) of sour cream
- 4 oz (120g) of softened cream cheese
- 4 oz (120g) (or more) of COOL WHIP whipped topping (Click here to make your own COOL WHIP topping)
- Wash green grapes and strawberries thoroughly and slice into bite sized pieces.
- Drain pineapple and maraschino cherries (reserving juice for a refreshing beverage later)
- Combine all fruits and mini marshmallows into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the sour cream, cream cheese, and COOL WHIP until well blended.
- Fold mixture into fruit and toss lightly until completely covered.
- Garnish with more COOL WHIP and a few fresh fruit slices (pecans or walnuts make a great addition too, but totally optional)
- Chill until ready to serve.
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- optional 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Whip the cream with a whisk or wooden fork in a sturdy bowl until peaks form.
- Beat in the powdered sugar tablespoon by tablespoon, until it has something of a real shape and consistency to it. Voila, you're done! Sprinkle with some cinnamon if topping a pumpkin pie.
- I like giving it a light vanilla flavor– a little goes a long way, 1/8-1/4 tsp is really all you need. For some ideas, 1/4 tsp lemon extract with some yellow food dye makes for a nice lemon cream topping, same with strawberry extract and red food coloring. Almond extract with some crushed almonds on top? Mmm!
Ambrosia Jello Mold
Prep: 20 min | Refigerate: 3 hours
- 1 can (8 oz.) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- cold water
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 pkg. (6 oz.) orange Jello Gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups thawed Cool Whip
- 1 can (11 oz.) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice.
- Add enough cold water to juice to measure 1 cup.
- Add boiling water to gelatin mix in large bowl; stir 2 min. until completely dissolved.
- Stir in measured liquid.
- Refrigerate 1-1/4 hours or until slightly thickened.
- Whisk in Cool Whip until well blended.
- Refrigerate 10 min. or until mixture will mound.
- Stir in pineapple, oranges, marshmallows and coconut.
- Spoon into 6-cup mold sprayed with cooking spray.
- Refrigerate 3 hours or until firm.
Prep: 10min | Cook: 1 hour | Refigerate: 8 hours
- 1 1/2 cups almond shortbread cookie crumbs (about 12 cookies)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 4 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (14-ounce) package sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups Fresh Orange Curd
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, lightly toasted (optional)
- Stir together first 3 ingredients; press mixture into bottom of a 10-inch springform pan.
- Bake at 350Â° for 8 minutes. Cool.
- Beat cream cheese, eggs, and 1 cup sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Stir in 14-ounce package coconut and vanilla. Pour into prepared crust.
- Bake at 350Â° for 1 hour. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cover and chill 8 hours. Release sides of springform pan, and place cheesecake on serving platter or cake stand.
- Spread Fresh Orange Curd evenly over top of cheesecake.
- Sprinkle 1 cup toasted coconut around outer edge of top, if desired.
- Arrange Decorated Pastry Strips on sides of cheesecake, if desired.
- Garnish top of cake, if desired.