A few years ago, the immensely popular Pixar film Ratatouille brought this dish to our attention. It’s a traditional French dish, which is hearty comfort food stuffed full of vegetables.
Skill level: 1
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1 1/2 cups small diced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups medium diced eggplant, skin on
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup diced green bell peppers
- 1 cup diced red bell peppers
- 1 cup diced zucchini squash
- 1 cup diced yellow squash
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Set a large 12-inch saute pan over medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Once hot, add the onions and garlic to the pan.
- Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until they are wilted and lightly caramelized, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the eggplant and thyme to the pan and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is partially cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Add the green and red peppers, zucchini, and squash and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, parsley, and salt and pepper, to taste, and cook for a final 5 minutes.
- Stir well to blend and serve either hot or at room temperature.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- salt to taste
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat bottom and sides of a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir garlic until lightly browned. Mix in parsley and eggplant. Cook and stir until eggplant is soft, about 10 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Spread eggplant mixture evenly across bottom of prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle with a few tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Spread zucchini in an even layer over top. Lightly salt and sprinkle with a little more cheese. Continue layering in this fashion, with onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, and tomatoes, covering each layer with a sprinkling of salt and cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 small eggplant, trimmed and very thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, trimmed and very thinly sliced
- 1 yellow squash, trimmed and very thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and very thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored and very thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Spread tomato paste into the bottom of a 10×10-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with onion and garlic and stir in 1 tablespoon olive oil and water until thoroughly combined. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Arrange alternating slices of eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, red bell pepper, and yellow bell pepper, starting at the outer edge of the dish and working concentrically towards the center. Overlap the slices a little to display the colors. Drizzle the vegetables with 3 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Sprinkle with thyme leaves. Cover vegetables with a piece of parchment paper cut to fit inside.
- Bake in the preheated oven until vegetables are roasted and tender, about 45 minutes. Serve with dollops of mascarpone cheese.
- 2 large aubergines
- 4 small courgettes
- 2 red or yellow peppers
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- supermarket pack or small bunch
- 1 medium onion , peeled and
- thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves , peeled and
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar (any kind)
- Cut the aubergines in half lengthways. Place them on the board, cut side down, slice in half lengthways again and then across into 1.5cm chunks.
- Cut off the courgettes ends, then across into 1.5cm slices. Peel the peppers from stalk to bottom.
- Hold upright, cut around the stalk, then cut into 3 pieces. Cut away any membrane, then chop into bite-size chunks. Score a small cross on the base of each tomato, then put them into a heatproof bowl.
- Pour boiling water over the tomatoes, leave for 20 secs, then remove. Pour the water away, replace
- the tomatoes and cover with cold water. Leave to cool, then peel the skin away. Quarter the tomatoes, scrape away the seeds with a spoon, then roughly chop the flesh.
- Set a sauté pan over medium heat and when hot, pour in 2 tbsp olive oil. Brown the aubergines for 5 mins on each side until the pieces are soft. Set them aside and fry the courgettes in another tbsp oil for 5 mins, until golden on both sides.
- Repeat with the peppers. Don’t overcook the vegetables at this stage, as they have some more cooking left in the next step.
- Tear up the basil leaves and set aside. Cook the onion in the pan for 5 mins. Add the garlic and fry for a further min. Stir in the vinegar and sugar, then tip in the tomatoes and half the basil.
- Return the vegetables to the pan with some salt and pepper and cook for 5 mins.
- Serve with basil.
- 4 tomatoes
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1 yellow capsicum, diced
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 1 tbs tomato puree
- 1/2 tbs chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbs torn fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Score a cross in the base of each tomato and plunge into a bowl of boiling water for 20 seconds.
- Peel the skin from the tomatoes and discard.
- Chop the tomato flesh into medium dice.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat and add the onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes then add the capsicum and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Transfer the onion and capsicum to a plate and set aside.
- Add the eggplant to the pan and cook over medium heat for 5-6 minutes.
- Return the onion and capsicum to the pan and stir in tomato puree.
- Add thyme and tomatoes. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the basil and garlic. Serve warm either on its own or with roast meat or fish.